US organic market reaches $50 billion
The organic market in the U.S reached over $52.5 billion in sales in 2018, growing 6.3% since the previous year and hitting a record high according to a recent survey.
The 2019 Organic Industry Survey by the Organic Trade Association found that both organic food and non-food grew substantially – with organic food growing 5.9% to $47.9 billion and organic non-food growing 10% to $4.6 billion.
Highlights from the 2019 Organic Industry Survey include:
- Since reaching $24.9 billion in 2010, organic sales have more than doubled.
- 5.7% of the food sold in the US is now organic.
- Fruit and vegetables account for 36.3% of all organic food sales, making up 14.6% of all US produce.
- Organic dairy and egg sales have slowed but still rose by 0.8% to $6.5 billion in 2018.
- Organic fibre sales grew to $1.8 billion in 2017.
The Organic Trade Association in the U.S represents over 9,500 organic business in 50 states, including growers, shippers, processors, certifiers, farmers’ associations, distributors, importers, exporters, consultants, retailers and others.