The Australian Organic Wine Awards 2020 have been designed to celebrate the finest drops from Australia’s best certified organic and biodynamic winemakers.
Australian Organic Limited CEO Niki Ford said the peak body is delighted to be hosting the Awards in what has been a tough year for winemakers; a fantastic way to raise the profile of high-quality organic wine and boost the industry (read more here).
The Awards provide the opportunity for certified organic winemakers to showcase their varietals in a time where many wine events have been cancelled or postponed.
Judging was completed in January 2021 at Brisbane’s iconic City Winery. The winner will receive a Cullen Wines trophy, case of Cullen wines, Riedel decanter and special feature article in Gourmet Traveller WINE, as well as promotion through digital media. Second and third winner will receive a Riedel decanter.
Australian Organic Wine Awards 2020 Judges
Ramon Arnavas (Panel Chair Judge):
- Panel Chair Judge RASQ Toowoomba Wine Show and Mediterranean Challenge 2019
- Judge RASQ Toowoomba Wine Show and Mediterranean Challenge 2016 and 2018
- Judge Royal Queensland Wine Show 2017, 2018 and 2019
- Len Evans Tutorial Scholar 2016
- Lorenzo Galli Scholarship National DUX 2016
- Ruinart Sommelier challenge finalist 2016
- Recipient of the ‘Sommeliers Australia’ Scholarship in 2010.
Josh Martin (Associate Judge):
- Judge Australia’s Wine List of The Year 2020 and 2019
- Judge Wineslingers Top 50 Bars in Australia 2019
- Associate Judge Australian Organics Wine Show 2017
- Winner New Wine Writer of Year: Wine Communicators of Australia 2016
- Gourmet Traveller WINE
Ken Gargett (Judge):
- Currently the Managing Editor of “Fine Wine & Champagne, Australia/NZ” and contributor to other magazines in the Fine Wine stable, Explore Drinks, the UK World of Fine Wine; the Quill and Pad website on spirits, champagnes and wines; www.tastingbook.com; Gourmet Traveller WINE; the Fine Group; Crema (formerly Café); Drinks Magazine; Ocean Magazine.
- Written or contributed to numerous books including ‘Don’t Buy Wine Without Me, 2008′, ‘Discover Australia – Wineries’, and ‘The Global Encyclopedia of Wine’
- Len Evans Tutorial Scholar 2005
- Chevalier of the Ordre des Coteaux de Champagne 2003
- Vin de Champagne Award winner 1993.
Alex McPherson (Judge)
- Len Evans Scholar 2003
- Wine Judge
- Beverage Director
To learn more about sponsorship opportunities and to get involved in the Australian Organic Wine Awards 2020, please contact Shari Burke via email or by calling 07 3350 5716.