Australian Organic Celebrates National Ag Day
To celebrate National Ag Day in 2020, we will be highlighting the fact that Australia has produced some world-renowned sustainable farming personalities, and innovating methods.
Globally, organic farmers use a variety of methods and techniques to create a truly sustainable, resilient, and regenerative farming systems. Many of these methods were developed, or defined and popularised, by Australians.
- Bill Mollison (1928 – 2016): Co-founder of Permaculture – an ethical design science for sustainable human inhabitation of the planet
- P.A. Yeomans (1905 – 1984): Founder of the Keyline Plan, and the Yeomans Plow
- Alex Podolinski (1925 – 2019): Considered the father of Bio-dynamics within Australia
- Bruce Ward: Proponent of Holistic Management
- Peter Andrews: Founder of Natural Sequence Farming
- Christine Jones: Light Farming – soil carbon and microbiology, carbon farming
- Mulloon Creek Natural Farms: featured as a model example of an organic farm using most, if not all of the above methods
About Owen Gwilliam
Owen Gwilliam is Australian Organic’s Chief Technical Officer and has carried out organic auditing, training and consulting in 15 countries over the last 19 years of his career in Organics. Having served the Australian Organic industry in all levels of certification he is now focused on standards development, market access, and industry development.