2/3 cup of oil (sunflower or olive oil).
1/3 cup of Greek yogurt
1 cup of wholemeal flour
¾ cups of brown sugar
½ tsp of baking soda
½ tsp of baking powder
3 carrots, grated
1 tsp of vanilla extract
2 tsp of ground cinnamon
1 tsp of fresh nutmeg, finely grated
½ tsp of fresh ginger, finely grated
2 organic, free range eggs
½ cup of raw unsalted walnuts, chopped roughly (save some to sprinkle on top)
1 cup of cream cheese
1 ½ cup of icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 ºC. Grab a baking tin and lightly oil the inside and place to the side.
- In a bowl, beat oil, eggs and sugar together until well combined. Fold in the yogurt, flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Add a pinch of salt in the bowl.
- Once the mixture is combined, fold in grated carrots and chopped walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and place in the hot oven. Leave in the oven to cook for 1 hour or until golden brown on top. Use a wooden skewer to check if the mixture is fully cooked in the middle. It should come out clean if it is.
- Leave on the bench to cool before removing from the tin.
- While cake is cooling, beat the cream cheese and icing sugar together. Once the cake has cooled enough to remove from the tin. Evenly spread frosting over the top of the cake. If you have some walnuts left over, sprinkle the remainder over the top.
- Serve with family and friends and enjoy!