One of Australia’s oldest family owned wineries is excited to be exhibiting their range of certified organic wines on the new “World of Organic Wine” stand (WOW) at Vinexpo. The event will be held in Bordeaux from the 18th – 21st of June and Angove Family Winemakers is the only Australian winery to be on this stand, together with 200 organically and biodynamically certified wineries from around the world.
Since first becoming certified just over a decade ago Angove Family Winemakers has fully embraced the organic ethos and are now the largest organic winery in Australia with nearly 200 ha of fully certified family vineyard and ongoing relationships with a number of certified growers. Achieving organic certification is a rigorous process, and it takes three years for a vineyard to become fully certified.
“We see many opportunities for great tasting, reasonably priced organic wines globally. Organic produce in general is one of the fastest growing consumer categories and it is fantastic to have built so rapidly on our early position in this market segment” stated Tim Boydell, Director of Sales and Marketing, who will be personally attending Vinexpo to showcase the Warboys Vineyard, Wild Olive and Angove Organic wine ranges.
“Organic viticulture is viewed as the best way to improve soil quality and optimise water use, which creates stronger, healthier vines and better fruit. It is more expensive but we believe it makes better tasting wines and, importantly, is better for the environment. We see this as an essential investment in our future and part of our deeply held belief to make sure that we pass our precious natural resources on to the next generation in better condition than when we started” stated Tony Ingle, Angove Chief Winemaker.
“The organic crops seem to achieve flavour ripeness earlier, at lower sugar levels, have thicker skins, especially the reds, and are less susceptible to disease. Importantly farming organically improves the environment with no synthetic or chemical herbicides or pesticides used in the growing of the grapes.”
- 2017 marks the 11th anniversary of Angove Family Winemakers organic certification.
- Our 300ha Nanya Vineyard now contains 185ha of organically farmed vineyard with more being certified every year.
- Our 14ha historic Warboys Vineyard in McLaren Vale has been managed Organically & Biodynamically from date of purchase in 2008 and is now fully certified.
- We use specially designed undervine mowers built and modified by our own engineering department for weed control – weed control is one of the hardest parts of farming organically.
- Farming organically and using extensive undervine mulching has reduced our irrigation requirements significantly.
- Angove is certified to Australian, USDA (United States), Canadian, EU and Chinese Standards, one of only a handful of wineries to have such comprehensive certification.
For more information on these or other Angove wines please contact Tim Boydell or visit www.angove.com.au