Australia’s appetite for organics at record levels
The latest Australian Organic Market Report reveals the nation’s organic industry is worth $1.72 billion, up by 35% since 2012 and growing by over 15% each year.
The Australian Organic Market Report is a highly respected biennial publication commissioned by Australian Organic. It tracks industry and consumer trends in the Australian organic marketplace based on research by the Mobium Group, Swinburne University of Technology and ABS statistics.
The 2014 Report shows consumption of certified organic food, cosmetics and household products are at a record high in Australia. Dairy and beef are the fastest growing organic sectors.
The 2014 Report has some interesting industry stats including:
- Dairy is the fastest growing organic sector, worth $113m
- Beef is the second fastest growing organic sector, worth $198m
- Wine grape production increased by a staggering 120% between 2011 and 2014
- There’s 18% annual growth in certified organic skincare and cosmetics
- Exports of organic products have more than doubled from 2012 to 2014.
Plus information about organic shoppers:
- Organic purchases by those who are not categorised as green or sustainable shoppers increases from 24% in 2012 to 40% in 2014
- The Australian Certified Organic logo is by far the most recognised organic certification mark
- 1/3 of shoppers say they would only buy a product labeled as ‘organic’ if it is certified organic
- 69% of primary food shoppers claim to have bought at least one certified organic product in the past 12 months
- The Australian Organic Market Report 2014 also asks for the first time why shoppers started buying organic.
The Australian Organic Market Report is funded by Horticulture Australia Ltd using voluntary contributions from Australian Organic Ltd and matched funds from the Australian Government.
Members of Australian Organic are eligible to receive a hard copy of the Report. If you’re not already a member why not join? The next Market Report will be issued in 2016.
The Australian Organic Market Report 2014 is proudly supported by