The 2017 Australian Organic Market Report publication is copyright. Save for any use as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth), all rights are reserved. Requests and inquiries concerning reproduction of this material should be communicated to Australian Organic Ltd.
Australia’s appetite for organics at record levels
The latest Australian Organic Market Report reveals the nation’s organic industry could be anticipated to reach or exceed AU$2 billion by 2018!
The Australian Organic Market Report is a highly respected publication commissioned by Australian Organic. It tracks industry and consumer trends in the Australian organic marketplace based on research by the Mobium Group and the University of New England.
The 2017 Report has some interesting industry stats including:
- The number of certified organic operations in Australia grew by 5%.
- The tonnes of organic products exported from Australia grew by 17%.
- Bakery items showed more than four-fold export growth between 2015 and 2016.
- Exports of sheep/lamb meat, cosmetics, alcoholic drinks, dairy products and chicken all showed exceptional growth.
- Australia has 53% of the world’s organic farmland.
Plus information about organic shoppers:
- More than two out of three Australian households say they bought at least one organic product in the past year.
- Personal health for the buyer and their family is the strongest driver.
- Fruit and vegetables, dairy and home-cooking ingredients are the leading food basket categories for organic shoppers in 2016.
- Most shoppers are aware that certification marks are used on organic products as a ‘guarantee’ of authenticity.
- An organic certification mark increases the confidence of two-thirds of all shoppers in the certified product.
Members of Australian Organic are eligible to receive a hard copy of the Report. If you’re not already a member why not join?